Sunday, February 17, 2008

Where I'm From

I am from oven fresh cookies, from Pillsbury and Toll House.
I am from everywhere,
(moving west and north and east throughout my life.)
I am from the roses and marigolds of my great grandmother's garden, and the red clay that stains your feet in the hot, humid summer.

I am from Sunday dinners and tender hearts,
from Tucker and Smith and Griffith.
I am from the strong-willed and outspoken.
From Help your brother! and Remember who you are!
I am from He is the way, the truth, the life. Three hours every Sunday praising His name.

I'm from Winston Salem and Pleasant View,
mashed potatoes and collard greens.
From the time my mom thought she had a fish in her boot, to the time my dad flooded his neighbor’s living room, and the time my brother and I ran away from home.

I am from the small boxes of photos under my momma’s bed,
and all the many memories I’ve made from living in six states.

I am me, and I am a child of God.




*The picture above is me, my mother, my grandmother, and my great-grandmother.

1 comment:

Dr. Frye said...

Beautifully written Lauren! I can picture many of these images!